Friday, November 24, 2006

Heartbroken

The old man standing outside the Appliances Center. Being contented with mall's free air-conditioning and amusing himself with the movie shown on the big TV screen, which you can barely hear because of the thick-glassed window separating privilege and poverty.

The security guard patrolling an overpass along EDSA. Risking his life for a living & keeping himself awake just to stay alive. The one whom I've given some coffee the time I passed the bridge at 10:30 in the evening. He just smiled.

A group of basureros having their lunch along the sidewalk, beside the stinking garbage truck. Eating only-God-can-tell-what-are-those-stuff with bare hands. They were covering their faces. They were eating silently.

The single-legged old manong whom I used to give sandwiches because he looked like my grandfather who passed away. His place has been empty since the last 3 days. I've no idea where he is. He's just gone.

The kid who's been frequently sleeping on the sidewalk with newspapers covering his skinny body. He almost looked dead.

The old woman sitting at the Patient's Area. Waiting all day, even during lunch breaks. Waiting for countless hours just to get a free medical service. Waiting for somebody to come up and talk to her. She doesn't really mind if we're just interns. She doesn't mind if we were unlicensed. She just wanted a better life that she couldn't afford.

I stared at my overpriced food and venti frappucino.
I couldn't even touch them.
Shame.